It’s that time of year in New Jersey; fresh, juicy, sweet, delicious Jersey tomatoes are ripe for the picking. So let’s make some soup, why not, right? This recipe is so easy and super yummy. Look at these beauties!
What you’ll need:
- 5+ lbs of tomatoes cut into quarters (go crazy, mix varieties)
- Fresh garlic; about two cloves per pound of tomatoes (feel free to alter based on your taste)
- Yellow Onions (we used two large bulbs cut into eighths)
- Spices: Thyme, Rosemary, and Black Pepper (adjust to your taste)
- EVOO (Extra Virgin Olive Oil)
- Large container of Organic Veggie or Chicken stock
What you’ll do:
Toss all the ingredients, except stock, in a roasting pan and put it in the oven at 450 degrees for 45-60 minutes, or until tender.
Once done, put the roasted veggies in a stock pot; with an immersion blender, start adding your stock of choice until desired consistency is reached, simmer the soup on low for 20-30 minutes to let all the flavors meld.
And viola! Serve with croutons, freshly grated Parmesan cheese, anything really. Doesn’t it look delish?
This recipe can be made vegan if you use veggie stock and omit the Parmesan topping.
Other variations would be to add sherry, milk and/or cream to create a bisque! Enjoy!
Remember to check out my past recipes, and if you make this or any of my recipes, show them off on social media. Use the hashtags #nerdandlace . Also follow us on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest.