Do you hate making a huge mess in your kitchen to cook a meal when you have a million other things going on? Well so do I! That’s why every so often I try to make a one pot meal. All you’ll have to wash is a large pot, wooden spoon, knife, and cutting board. Not 25 other kitchen utensils and gadgets.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 shallot chopped
- 1 red pepper (or any color you prefer) chopped
- Minced fresh garlic (put as many cloves to your liking)
- 1 box of cherry tomatoes halved
- ½ cabbage chopped
- 1 bunch of kale chopped
- EVOO (Extra Virgin Olive Oil)
- Seasonings to your liking (coarse sea salt, whole peppercorns, red pepper flakes, thyme, rosemary, parsley, oregano, marjoram)
- ½ cup of a grain, you can use any of the following: brown rice, quinoa, bulgar wheat, freekah)
- Vegetable broth (2 cups)
- 4 pieces of any white fish (I used Hake loins for this batch pictured)
- White wine (to your liking)
- Juice of one lemon
Saute the onions, shallot, garlic, pepper, and seasonings in EVOO until the onions are translucent.
Once this mix is ready toss in your greens (feel free to use whatever green you like, spinach would be great too) and tomatoes.
Finally throw the fish on top and add your grain and liquids (broth, white wine, lemon juice).
Cover and simmer on low heat for about 60 minutes. All the flavors meld together and you get a delicious healthy meal with minimal mess in your kitchen.
Doesn’t it look amazing?!
Remember to check out my past recipes, and if you make this or any of my recipes, show them off on social media. Use the hashtag #nerdandlace. Also follow us on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest.